I just have to say...
I feel SOOOO good! I can't believe how much just getting enough sleep has impacted my attitude and how I feel every day. I guess you don't really appreciate something as simple as breathing or sleeping or eating until you don't get to do it. These really are BASIC necessities. I'm very grateful to a friend who saw my stressed out post one day on Facebook and forwarded the eBook "The Sleep Sense Program" by Dana Obleman. She worked wonders for our family!! It just took us a few nights to get Carson used to the routine and within a week I think he was sleeping soundly through the night and MANY times even going down to bed with a smile. We've since ditched the binky and his comfort items are now his teddy bear(s) and his blankie. It's so cute when he hugs his teddy as he's going down. I LOVE him and I LOVE that I get sleep now.
So Month #1 was a success. I already feel happier and more able during the day to handle things that come at me. I've even been strong enough to feel okay to take naps on days when I just feel exhausted. Normally I would feel guilty because we all know there's a million things to do during your kid's nap time, especially if it only comes once a day. My suggestion to everyone is this --- GET YOUR SLEEP. :)
And now it's February 1st....
I have this list I made around New Years of things I think that will help me get to my Happy Place. Sleep was a GREAT place to start. But I've been struggling with what to do for February. I tossed ideas back and forth and even said a little prayer for guidance. I want this to be a meaningful and inspired journey because I know that our Heavenly Father wants us all to be happy, and if it's important to me it's important to Him.
Anyway.. back to my struggle. I thought that I might try to focus on being more LOVING this month since it's February, but I thought it was too cliche. Don't get me wrong -- I could definitely improve in this area and it would be a great focus for the month. But my heart and mind kept coming back to ORGANIZATION. Logically I thought I should save this for March or April since that's the usual time for Spring Cleaning. BUT --- I have decided to go forward with it anyway.
I'm doing my Spring Cleaning in February for 2 reasons:
a) because when Spring DOES come around, I'll be outside enjoying it instead of being stuck inside trying to decide whether I should hold onto that skirt hanging in my closet which I've carried with me since I was 14 years old and going to Stake dances, or those boxes of school papers from college that I'm sure SOME DAY will be helpful for me or my children. LOL. ANNNNNDD I'll be on top of my game so I can do that yard sale I've been planning for 2 years at the beginning of the summer instead of the end. hehehe
b) organizing our house will actually be a way for me to SHOW MY LOVE for my husband. Goodness knows he's put up with me for 5 years being a pack rat and not putting things away or shoving things into corners around the house. And while I HATE to admit it to him (because then I have to say he's right), he's right. I just need to let go of stuff and I'm sure our whole family will be happier enjoying the space we're so blessed to live in.
How Janneke is going to find Happiness in 2011:
1. Getting enough sleep.
2. Living in an organized home.
Week 2: Clear out closets (bedroom, pantry, storage) of unused items and make room for putting away useful things.
Week 3: Clean out and file away the smaller stashes (like mail, magazines, craft supplies, necessary family paperwork, bills, receipts, etc).
Week 4: The computer. Organize all those digital files of family pictures and videos, old school papers, and free digital scrapbooking supplies.
Phew! When I list it all out it seems totally overwhelming. I really hope I can do this! This has been something on my To Do list for a very long time and going at it alone is going to be tough. I'm probably going to needs lots of encouragement.
Today I went around and took pictures of my whole house -- as messy as it really is. I will post a few pictures tomorrow even though it might be embarrassing because hopefully it will be a motivator for me. Then as I get things accomplished I can post "After" pictures to show how much different everything is. I'd love to hear some tips you guys have for how you 1) organize and 2) keep things organized and 3) part with things you think you could really use sometime but really should just get rid of.
So how did I start my first week? The top of the microwave is now clear of all those pill bottles (which have found their home back in the medicine cabinet) and the entry table now has only a couple candles, a candy dish and 3 picture frames instead of being covered with junk. It's a small start but every little bit will get me closer to my goal (I hope).
Thanks for reading. How is everyone else doing with their New Year's Resolutions?
I like this post a lot. I'm far from being as organized as I would like, but one thing I do that helps on a regular basis is to pick one day per week to clean my floors. Sometimes I don't always get to do as thorough of a job as I'd like, but at least once a week, things get vacuumed and swept really well. If I'm really ambitious, I'll even pull out the mop (which hasn't happened much since miss Elisa came to the family). That way, I feel liberated to ignore it on the other days of the week, knowing that on Thursdays, I'll make time to do it.


You, my dear, are a superstar!
You've made me realize that even though my house is "clean" I have much to improve on. It's funny because I just made a post of how I like to clean, but maybe it's a lie after all. Haha! No, I take that back. I like to clean visible surfaces, but I do NOT like going through the garage/closets and clearing stuff out. And I really need to do it.
Also the computer. Did you have to mention the computer? Mine is such a mess of photos that I need to organize and print out to put in photo albums. Can I admit I have THREE YEARS worth of photos to print off? Talk about overwhelming. UGH.
However, I think instead I'm going to be inspired by you and get crackin'. I'll report at the end of the month with you so I have a deadline. Thanks for being so inspiring! Good luck with your goal!


So you'd never know it if you walked into my house right now, but I hate piles and clutter! This doesn't always work, but I try to avoid piles by taking care of mail the day it comes. Instead of having a pile of bills, I open the bill, "pay" it, seal the envelope, put a stamp on it (yes, I still pay bills the old way) and put it in my purse. Then I put a reminder into my phone so that I know when I need to send that bill out. Instead of forgetting to pay on time because it's in a stack, I have it handy when I am out and can drop it off at the post office. Like I said, it doesn't always work...but it helps!






7 comments:
I like this post a lot. I'm far from being as organized as I would like, but one thing I do that helps on a regular basis is to pick one day per week to clean my floors. Sometimes I don't always get to do as thorough of a job as I'd like, but at least once a week, things get vacuumed and swept really well. If I'm really ambitious, I'll even pull out the mop (which hasn't happened much since miss Elisa came to the family). That way, I feel liberated to ignore it on the other days of the week, knowing that on Thursdays, I'll make time to do it.
You are so inspiring! Seriously! The way you have it all broken down makes it so do-able! I am so impressed! I'm sure You will succeed just as you did your first month. So WAY TO GO! Love you! & Good Luck!
You, my dear, are a superstar!
You've made me realize that even though my house is "clean" I have much to improve on. It's funny because I just made a post of how I like to clean, but maybe it's a lie after all. Haha! No, I take that back. I like to clean visible surfaces, but I do NOT like going through the garage/closets and clearing stuff out. And I really need to do it.
Also the computer. Did you have to mention the computer? Mine is such a mess of photos that I need to organize and print out to put in photo albums. Can I admit I have THREE YEARS worth of photos to print off? Talk about overwhelming. UGH.
However, I think instead I'm going to be inspired by you and get crackin'. I'll report at the end of the month with you so I have a deadline. Thanks for being so inspiring! Good luck with your goal!
I'm a great one for organization! I'm currently reading 2 really good books on the subject. Organized Simplicity and Unstuff Your Life...Kick the Clutter Habit and Completely Organize Your Life For Good. Love ya! Aunt Karen
How did I not know you had a blog? I have lots of the same goals! I'm trying to slowly become who I want and it's mostly starting with organization too! How funny that clean things make us better!!
I am thinking that we should spend a girl's night organizing. Give Carson to Danny, Ryan and Vince and you, me and Rachel should help you! I'm kinda volunteering Rachel, but it would be fun! I love to organize so no excuses :)
So you'd never know it if you walked into my house right now, but I hate piles and clutter! This doesn't always work, but I try to avoid piles by taking care of mail the day it comes. Instead of having a pile of bills, I open the bill, "pay" it, seal the envelope, put a stamp on it (yes, I still pay bills the old way) and put it in my purse. Then I put a reminder into my phone so that I know when I need to send that bill out. Instead of forgetting to pay on time because it's in a stack, I have it handy when I am out and can drop it off at the post office. Like I said, it doesn't always work...but it helps!
Post a Comment