Saturday, May 21, 2011

Where do you stand?

RAPTURE.

JUDGEMENT DAY.

May 21, 2011.

I had to record these thoughts for my posterity in case they should ever experience the real thing.

I have only within the last 48 hours really been "following" what's going on in the world regarding "The Doomsday Prophet" Harold Camping. More out of my own curiosity. Did I believe it would happen now? No. Do I believe it will happen ever? Yes. Very soon, but "no man knoweth the day of His coming."

I was very tempted to post a Facebook status like many other people about how the "prophecied" Doomsday came and went today. I read status after status of people poking fun at it, or saying how they were going to a "Doomsday party." I laughed inside, I admit. But then as I was getting ready to type something else witty about how the world didn't end today, I stopped.

My mind quickly reflected on something I have been taught from a very young age. I remembered a vision. A man named Lehi and his son Nephi were shown a large and spacious building, filled with people in the act of mocking and scorning those not in the building. They were filled with pride. And then, as an angel of the Lord declared to Nephi, it fell. "And the fall thereof was exceedingly great." If you would like to read more about this story, you can find it here [1 Nephi 8] and here [1 Nephi 11] in the Book of Mormon.

I share this story with you because I feel I was chastised for my worldliness and I just want you to know what the Holy Ghost witnessed to my heart in that small moment.

I know God is real, that Jesus Christ is my Savior. I KNOW He lived, and died that we might live again. I know He WILL come again and that the hour is nigh at hand. It may not have been today, but I don't want to be caught up in mocking another Christian for bringing to everyone's attention what the Prophets have been declaring for many, many years.

The day is not known, nor the hour.

But it WILL happen.

Where will I be standing when it does? What will my attitude be?

Where will you be?

(Author's disclaimer: This post was not intended to make you feel guilty or push you to act in any way but to reflect on today's events. These are my own thoughts and feelings as they happened to me today. I mean no ill against anyone who really believed the words of Harold Camping. I do invite anyone who has more questions about what I believe to leave a comment, write me a message, or contact the LDS church for more information.)

May 22, 2011
I felt the same way but I was thinking about the people in Nephite times that were going to receive a witness of Christ's birth and there were those who made fun of the believers and even said they would kill them if there wasn't a sign. Luckily there was and they lived, but it just made me think of which side I want to be on. I didn't believe yesterday was going to be the end of the world (if you study the book of Revelation you will realize that there are a lot of things that still have to happen) but I'm not going to be the one to make fun of or threaten those who do believe it. Thanks, Janneke, that was a really good post.
May 22, 2011
Amen!
May 23, 2011
My favorite facebook status I saw was my friend that wrote "I was going to say something clever about the rapture but then I remembered this verse in the book of mormon that says "fools mock, but they shall mourn." Touche.

3 comments:

Rachel Wilson said...

I felt the same way but I was thinking about the people in Nephite times that were going to receive a witness of Christ's birth and there were those who made fun of the believers and even said they would kill them if there wasn't a sign. Luckily there was and they lived, but it just made me think of which side I want to be on. I didn't believe yesterday was going to be the end of the world (if you study the book of Revelation you will realize that there are a lot of things that still have to happen) but I'm not going to be the one to make fun of or threaten those who do believe it. Thanks, Janneke, that was a really good post.

Sarah said...

Amen!

Rosie said...

My favorite facebook status I saw was my friend that wrote "I was going to say something clever about the rapture but then I remembered this verse in the book of mormon that says "fools mock, but they shall mourn." Touche.