Of course, as is typically customary in our culture for new move-ins or farewells (we gave talks just months ago in our last ward), we were asked to give talks (in other words to prepare a short sermon) in Sacrament meeting, most likely so the ward body could get to know our names and faces better. We were asked to base our remarks off the talk given by President Thomas S Monson in October 2013's General Conference titled "I Will Not Fail Thee Nor Forsake Thee."
I have not blogged a lot over the past year as I have been busy with my family, hobby, friends, Danny's school work and job hunting, holidays, moving, and also challenges like with my health and landlord. It's not that it was a bad year at all - it was just time consuming and challenging to juggle it all. And I didn't really open up about it all except to close friends and family. But after writing this talk, which includes a lot about some of my personal development and experiences last year, I felt inspired to share it. I know lots of people going through rough patches in their life, and others I have no clue are going through them. My hope is that what I have shared will help someone else. And the beauty of writing my talk out meant that I could make it very interactive! I hope that the Spirit will touch you through my own words, scriptures, talks and photos. If anything touches you and you want to talk more about it with someone, please feel free to contact me. janneke.marquez (at) gmail (dot) com
--------------------------------------
by Janneke Marquez, March 23, 2014
![]() |
| What I wrote in my art journal as inspirational from this talk, Oct 2013 |
This talk made my heart fill with so much joy back in
October because at the time I was fasting & praying for not only myself,
but more for a friend and neighbor who was just experiencing a huge trial in
her life, one that would impact her future and her childrens’ futures. Each
talk was inspirational and provided answer to my prayers. I hoped she was
listening, too. I could feel the Spirit of the Lord and KNEW my Heavenly Father
was aware of us both. To hear the Prophet,
President Monson say, “In my journal tonight, I shall write, ‘This has been one
of the most inspiring sessions of any general conference I’ve attended.
Everything has been of the greatest and most spiritual nature’” simply
confirmed what I was feeling, and testified of the truthfulness of it all! Keep
in mind that President Monson has been an Apostle for 50 years, having probably
attended more than 400+ sessions of conference during that time! I
cannot remember feeling any closer to my Heavenly Father during a conference
than this one. If the Prophet felt that
way and I felt this way, no doubt many others felt the power and strength of
the Lord through the words of His leaders, making this a remarkably unifying
experience for the body of the Church!
He did not fail any of us – the outpouring of His love and Spirit wrapped a
blanket of comfort around us all.
Point #1 – We all accepted the plan to come to
Earth to have a mortal experience. Universally, we will all experience periods
of abundance and happiness as well as periods of suffering and sorrow.
In the Book of Mormon (2 Nephi chapter
2) it reads, “For it must needs be
that there is an opposition in all things. If not so, righteousness could not
be brought to pass, neither wickedness. And if there be no righteousness there
be no happiness. And if there be no righteousness nor happiness, there be no
punishment nor misery. And if these things are not there is no God. And if
there is no God, we are not, neither the earth. But behold, all things have
been done in the wisdom of him who knoweth all things. Adam fell that men might
be; and men are that they might have joy.”
We exist so that we may have joy! Eternal life!
Blessings without number! If we know this to be true, then we can, as President
Monson says, “resist the temptation to ask ‘Why me?’ when life takes a cruel
turn," or as the hymn [We Thank Thee O God For a Prophet] sings “when dark clouds of trouble hang o’er us and threaten our peace to
destroy.”
Though I know all too well it is not easy. Darkness – in the
form of fears, doubts, pain, sin – cloud our eternal perspectives. In these
moments of darkness, the human tendency is to feel alone, abandoned,
heartbroken, depressed, forsaken. This is normal. THIS is all part of
the plan of happiness.
How can misery and suffering be a part of a plan for happiness???
Point #2 – Patience is required.
I’d like to start off this point with a very personal story,
one that is very emotional and close to my heart.
In 2010, I started praying to God for guidance on receiving
a particular blessing. When I finally received an answer from Him that now was
not the time, I accepted it with a little bit of sadness and tried my best to
continue forward, knowing that there was still hope found in that answer. Over
the course of the months, I would wait and then ask again, always receiving the
same answer. During this time I learned how to wait upon the
Lord [Psalms 37:3-9] – looking forward with hope to receiving the promise and doing all I
could to prepare for it. I still experienced sorrow and grief, especially when
I allowed myself to compare my life timeline with those of my friends and
family. But immersing myself in the scriptures and staying close to my Heavenly
Father and Savior Jesus Christ through prayer and temple worship helped me to develop
patience over time. In January 2013, the answer to my prayer I felt had finally
come! What I didn’t realize was that my time for patience and trusting God was
not over. It would still be almost another year before I experienced the joy of
receiving the answer to my prayers.
![]() |
| Image from Facebook |
During this experience, I went through valleys of grief and
suffering and climbed mountains of spirituality and hope. I grew so much during
this one time of my life. I learned how to forgive myself and others. I
learned more about my Savior and His role in my life. I learned more about my
own purpose and destiny, especially as I frequently studied and prayed more
about my Patriarchal Blessing and the promises held within that sacred
document. I learned how to sympathize with others and support them through
their own trials. My own testimony was strengthened, and in the case of my
friend I told you about earlier, she has told me that her faith has been
fortified because of our time together. What a treasure it is for me to know
that!
President Monson’s opening statement to his talk says, “Our
Heavenly Father knows that we learn and grow and become stronger as we face and
survive the trials through which we must pass.”
I received lots of strength to be patient from the
scriptures and conference talks. One talk in particular titled “Continue
in Patience” I referenced often. It is written by Dieter
F Uchtdorf, one of my favorite Apostles and speakers.
Here are some favorite quotes from that talk, but I invite you to read
or listen to the whole thing by clicking on the link with the talk title.
“Often the deep
valleys of our present will be understood only by looking back on them from the
mountains of our future experience. Often we can’t see the Lord’s hand in our
lives until long after trials have passed. Often the most difficult times of
our lives are essential building blocks that form the foundation of our
character and pave the way to future opportunity, understanding, and happiness.”
“Patience is a process
of perfection. The Savior Himself said that in your patience you possess your
souls. 11 Or, to use another translation of the Greek text, in your patience
you win mastery of your souls.”
“…sometimes it is in
the waiting rather than in the receiving that we grow the most.”
“…patience is a
purifying process that refines understanding, deepens happiness, focuses
action, and offers hope for peace.”
“Patience is a godly
attribute that can heal souls, unlock treasures of knowledge and understanding,
and transform ordinary men and women into saints and angels. Patience is truly
a fruit of the Spirit.”
Point #3 – We must endure and be refined by our trials
through the Savior Jesus Christ.
The Gospel of Jesus Christ
is the answer to the question “How do I endure to the end?” The process of
experiencing the burdens and trials of life, enduring with patience and then
overcoming is the refiner’s fire that we must all pass through. Not just once,
but for our whole lives.
I had an experience watching my husband and son before
bedtime last night. Danny has been trying to teach Carson to conserve energy by
turning off lights when we are done using them. Carson went into a bedroom to
perform a particular task and when he was done, left the room. Danny was quick
to lovingly correct him and without hesitation or complaint (in this particular
instance), Carson immediately turned around and turned off the light. This moment
brought spiritual clarity to me when I pondered its application to the
scripture in Mosiah 3:19
that says,
“For the natural man
is an enemy to God, and has been from the fall of Adam, and will be, forever
and ever, unless he yields to the enticings of the Holy Spirit, and putteth off
the natural man and becometh a saint through the atonement of Christ the Lord,
and becometh as a child, submissive, meek, humble, patient, full of love,
willing to submit to all things which the Lord seeth fit to inflict upon him,
even as a child doth submit to his father.”
The refining process we go through in life is to become like
little children, willing to submit to all things which the Lord seeth fit for
our personal growth and development. One of the keys I believe to living, loving and enduring our
life (including our trials) well is to have a child-like faith and trust in
God. Little by little, as we learn more about our Savior, His atoning sacrifice
and how it applies to each of us in everything
we experience, we become more like Him and draw nearer to eternal life.
“Whether it is the best of times or the worst of times, He
is with us. He has promised that this will never change.” – Thomas S Monson
One scripture that helped me endure my particular challenges
over the last year is Hebrews
10:35-36. I found it so helpful that I took a screenshot of it from my
scripture app and set it to be my lock screen image on my iPod, something I
carried around with me all the time as my personal planner/daybook.
“Cast not away therefore
your confidence, which hath great recompense of reward.
[Remember President
Uchtdorf’s talk from the same conference
that reminds us to doubt
your doubts before you doubt your faith???]
For ye have need of patience, that, after ye have
done the will of God, ye might receive the promise.”
![]() |
(Image linked from blogger Courtney Aitkin)
|
This helped me to have faith and trust in God’s plan. He was
promising that if I remained faithful and patient while doing His work, which included my own personal growth as well as helping others grow in their trials, I would
receive the promises He had made to me. I could have hope for things to come
and know that everything I was experiencing had a purpose.
I testify that we can hold on to His promises and trust in
God the Father, his son Jesus Christ and the Holy Ghost. He loves us, each and
every one, no matter what we’ve done or how we’ve performed up until now. He is
the light for our darkness and the rock for our lives (Helaman 5:12).
If we will build our lives on the principles
of the Gospel, trying every day to do our best, we will see that He has
done what He promised. We WILL see His hand in our lives and know without a doubt
that He lives, He loves us, and He wants nothing but for us to have joy. You
will not fail and you will never be alone. He is there and He knows you.
![]() |
| Image by Janneke Marquez Photography |











1 comment:
Sharing personal testimonies about faith can be incredibly inspiring.
Post a Comment