Sunday night around dinner time, I (Janneke) started having some pain in my abdomen which felt a lot like menstrual cramps. A home pregnancy test the day before quickly ruled out pregnancy as the cause of this, and it wasn't because of a menstrual cycle about to happen either. The cramps had been present Friday and a little Saturday as well. I was quite concerned about what it could be, but kinda forgot about it and moved on. Well, when they came back Sunday night, they quickly worsened. The dull cramp in my left side turned into a sharp pain which spread to my back as well within about 5 minutes! I was getting pretty scared! I'm not one to jump up and go to the hospital without really feeling the need to go, but the pain started to get so intense that I was doubled over and crying. So, Danny took me to the Emergency Room where I was put into a wheelchair and had to wait a little while to get checked in by the nurses. I finally got back to see a nurse and a doctor. I got this cool hospital band and an IV, my first! I had always been scared to get one - just the thought of it gives me the heebie jeebies. But, it wasn't too bad.
The pain was pretty bad and I'm sure my moaning and crying could have been heard all around that floor. Danny was so good to me - he tried to tell me stories and stroke my hair and hold my hand so that I could take my mind off the pain and the nausea. The first dose of morphine felt like a wave of warmth pass through my body, but it still didn't get the pain in my side. The 2nd dose of it did a better job, though there was still enough pain that came and went. Danny called some friends and finally got someone to swing by and help give me a blessing, which I was very greatful for though I don't really remember what was said. (I was doped up!) After some more time passed, I got taken back on the gerney to get a CAT scan, which confirmed the Dr's preliminary suspicions about what was going on. They found a kidney stone, 3mm, up near the top of the Ureter (the tube that takes the stuff from your kidney to your bladder).

Though small, it was causing quite a bit of pain. In fact, they told me that women who have had kindey stones say they are equal to or worse than going through labor! I'll have to let you know when that day comes, but for right now, I'm pretty scared about labor based on what I felt yesterday! Anyway, after 4 hours at the hospital, I got to go home. We stopped by Rite Aid to get my prescriptions and then we went to bed.
****WARNING: Faint of stomach may want to skip this paragraph***
Today, I'm still in bed. I hate feeling nauseas AND the puking that comes along with that (sorry to be so blunt). I haven't been able to keep anything down, which means I haven't eaten since lunch yesterday. I feel dizzy and just plain gross. I can't believe I've thrown up as much as I have - I have no food in there! Anyway, I'm sorry if I grossed anyone out, but I warned you in advance.
All I want to say is that I LOVE my husband. He is so kind and so compassionate. He was very calm yesterday, even though I know he started to get as scared as I was that there was something worse happening in my body. I'm sure he started thinking about his dad. I love how he was right there for me, even though I know he had homework he needed to do, and classes to attend today. He was holding my hand, kissing my face, stroking my hair, telling me stories like when we met and when we got engaged, and telling me he loved me. You KNOW they love you when they even clean out your puke bags/bowls. I love him so much!!! Thank you for being there for me. I'm grateful for our knowledge of the gospel and for his righteousness that he could use his Priesthood to give me a blessing. We know that this, too, shall pass (pun INTENDED).
Mar 9, 2009

Mar 9, 2009

Mar 9, 2009

Mar 9, 2009
Mar 10, 2009

Mar 10, 2009






6 comments:
HOW HORRIBLE! I am sorry that you have to go through such an awful experience. I hope you get to feeling better as soon as possible!
Oh my! I am so sorry! I hope it passes soon! That sounds awful! Fell better!
PS Sounds like you have one amazing husband there ;)
Hope you get better soon!!! Don't worry about labor, that's what an epideral is for (I highly recommend it, when that time comes for you :-) ). But do get better, our prayers are with you!
Oh man, I am so sorry! I've never had a kidney stone, but I hear they are AWFUL. If there is anything I can do for you, call! Like tomorrow's dinner? I doubt you'll be feeling up to it...
OUCH!!! I hope you get feeling better soon.
That is no fun. My dad and one of my old roommates had kidney stones and I know it is not a good experience. I hope you get feeling better.
Post a Comment