
A milk cow, that is. He doesn't really think I'm fat or anything. But seriously, I really do feel like a cow since I had a baby. Or maybe a dairy factory. I guess that's one of the disadvantages to pumping your milk 24/7 as opposed to feeding your child at the breast - you actually get to SEE how much milk your baby is drinking, or how much you're pumping.
Today Carson turned 2 months old (and don't worry - I have plans to post more on that Friday after his Dr. appointment). Today also marked 1 month since I've been storing my breast milk. I think it all started when I wanted to go snowboarding. Since I had to leave Carson for a whole day, I did one day of formula a couple days before so that I could get a supply of milk to leave with Grandma. Well, that must have gotten the ball rolling or SOMETHING because I've got a stash in my freezer that I haven't been able to use yet. Though, no worries because I went back to work today and I'm sure we'll be using it from now on.
But here's the fun part - the statistics. I took inventory tonight because it was all over the freezer and I needed to organize it better so we use the older stuff first, and because I was curious to see how much we had. Between about 75-100 bags of milk, there is:
278.5 ounces, or
17.4 lbs., or
8.7 qts, or
roughly 2 gallons of MILK!
That's how much food storage I've built up for Carson in 1 month! Crazy! But here's what's even crazier...

Carson eats about 3-4 ounces about 6-8 times a day. That's about:
32 ounces/day, or
960 ounces in 30 days (1 month), or
60 lbs., or
30 qts., or
7.5 gallons!!!
THAT MEANS I'M MAKING ABOUT 9.5 GALLONS IN A MONTH!!!
HOLY COW!

17.4 lbs., or
8.7 qts, or
roughly 2 gallons of MILK!
That's how much food storage I've built up for Carson in 1 month! Crazy! But here's what's even crazier...
Carson eats about 3-4 ounces about 6-8 times a day. That's about:
32 ounces/day, or
960 ounces in 30 days (1 month), or
60 lbs., or
30 qts., or
7.5 gallons!!!
THAT MEANS I'M MAKING ABOUT 9.5 GALLONS IN A MONTH!!!
HOLY COW!
For all you breastfeeding moms out there, have you ever stopped to think how much milk you make for your baby? Or how much they drink? LOL!!! Crazy.
Now you know why I feel like a cow. Good grief.
And just for kicks, here's a fun picture for the post. Ready for bed in his cute puppy dog gown and puppy slippers!
Now you know why I feel like a cow. Good grief.
And just for kicks, here's a fun picture for the post. Ready for bed in his cute puppy dog gown and puppy slippers!

Isn't he getting so big?! Thanks for reading! I'd love to hear your comments!

Feb 4, 2010

Feb 4, 2010
Wow!! That is A LOT of milk! I never stopped to figure out how much milk I was producing. I never had to go to work or anything, so pumping was never a priority. Plus she didn't take a bottle very well so I felt like I was wasting milk when I pumped. I'm so glad breastfeeding is going well for you. Hannah is 14 months old and I still nurse her a few times a day. I love it :-)

Feb 4, 2010
Feb 4, 2010
Ironically, I read this post while pumping at school while my class is at recess. Funny. And yes, I, too, feel like a cow.
So, I'm curious--why did you decide to only pump and not do both bottles and breastfeeding?
So, I'm curious--why did you decide to only pump and not do both bottles and breastfeeding?

Feb 4, 2010
LUCKY LUCKY LUCKY!!! I didn't even have enough for my own child! So however annoying it is, it is quite a blessing! But I can totally understand how you feel like a cow! (don't worry, you certainly don't look like one!) It is funny you posted this because I was just about to show you a similar post by a mutual friend. I'll show you later. The human body is amazing! Way to go!

Feb 4, 2010
Feb 5, 2010
Feb 5, 2010

Feb 8, 2010
Mar 13, 2010






10 comments:
He is so cute! Great job with producing milk! I have always been on the short end of production so I'm happy you're doing so well!
Wow!! That is A LOT of milk! I never stopped to figure out how much milk I was producing. I never had to go to work or anything, so pumping was never a priority. Plus she didn't take a bottle very well so I felt like I was wasting milk when I pumped. I'm so glad breastfeeding is going well for you. Hannah is 14 months old and I still nurse her a few times a day. I love it :-)
he's huge!!
Ironically, I read this post while pumping at school while my class is at recess. Funny. And yes, I, too, feel like a cow.
So, I'm curious--why did you decide to only pump and not do both bottles and breastfeeding?
LUCKY LUCKY LUCKY!!! I didn't even have enough for my own child! So however annoying it is, it is quite a blessing! But I can totally understand how you feel like a cow! (don't worry, you certainly don't look like one!) It is funny you posted this because I was just about to show you a similar post by a mutual friend. I'll show you later. The human body is amazing! Way to go!
He's very cute! And no - I hadn't quite looked at things from that perspective. It's really crazy!
He is so much bigger! Well done. I know it may not seem like a blessing, but I think it is pretty great you know what he is eating! And going back to work will be so much easier for you. Your freezer must be a sight!
love love love this post, especially after the lactation class I went to last night. ha ha, very timely jan
Dang! That's awesome. Your little man is so stinking cute! I love it! Im glad everything is going well for you, you look great!
This post was hilarious, interesting, and disturbing. No wonder breast-feeding mommas are so hungry...
Post a Comment