Sunday, August 29, 2010

kids say the darndest...

It must be hard to a be a little kid in such a big world. There are so many mysteries --- and you have so many questions. And you don't understand all the rules about people and things and society.

Tonight a cute little 4 year old girl asked a really hard question of me, and one that I felt like I wanted to answer. But I just didn't really have a good answer, at least not one that I could give that would really help her understand. As I write this, it made me think about how this world really is all about experiences. You just can't learn, or you can't know, about things unless you experience them for yourself. Heavenly Father knew what He had to do for His children - He had to send us down here to have our own experiences because He knew He couldn't explain everything about life to us and have us REALLY understand how to be like Him. Now, back to the story.

Little girl: "Why is your face so red" --- in a quiet voice across the table
Me: "I'm sorry, what did you ask me, LG? I didn't understand your question."
LG: "Your face... it looks like maybe you scratched it... A LOT"
Me: *Pause* "Well...." *more pause* (How do you explain acne and post-acne scarring to a 4 year old?????!!!!)
Me: "Uh... well..." (and I proceeded to try and give a short, simple answer that might appease her young curiosity, but it really wasn't all that great)

I really hope she never has to experience this tragic part of life. I wish NOBODY had to experience this. Ugh.. there's a reason why I don't like to take pictures right now, let alone even show my face in public these days. And I know there's a few of you out there like me who can understand the pain. But.. at least I know my little baby boy doesn't care about what I look like right now - it's who I am. And I know he loves me because we look in the mirror every day together and he smiles a big smile right back at me. I love him. Maybe someday mommy will have a face like this again, but for now my face is a small sacrifice for bringing him into this world and for breastfeeding.

2005 & 2008













And here's a cute picture of Carson from the end of June (he was almost 7 months old) --- because we know that's what you REALLY come to read about. :) j/k!!! I don't blame you - he's got such a cute face it's just too hard to resist!


Aug 30, 2010
If you're looking for an acne medication...I've just tried a new one that I absolutely love. My dermo gave me an rx and it's made a TON of difference for me. It's called Solodyn, just in case you were looking for something. Either way, I feel your pain, mine had been getting really unbearable until I started this. Hang in there!
Aug 30, 2010
What a cute picture of your little boy! And acne ... well I hoped I would grow out of it but it looks like it's here to stay. I have no idea what I would have told that little girl.
Aug 30, 2010
I had a liitle kid ask me once why my face had so many red bumps...I told her they were kiss from God. I lied. No, they aren't kisses from God, they are more like kisses from Satan but at least she stopped asking questions!
Aug 30, 2010
Megan - thanks for the recommendation. I'll have to take a look into it once I'm done breastfeeding. 

Hailey - I HOPE it's not here to stay, but then again it never left me, so I might be doomed.

Sarah - I wish you been there because I think that would've been perfect.
Sep 1, 2010
pregnancy acne - had just a little taste of that too. one of those things people don't tell you about.

your little boy isn't the only one who thinks your beautiful! You are!
Sep 22, 2010
I know first hand how horrible acne is....I had blunt germans on my mission tell me how bad my face looked. I totally understand having to talk to children about it! :) I got on Accutane...potent stuff. It is the strongest medicine out there, but cured me for good. You should look into it when you are done breastfeeding. I can't believe you have such an amazingly good attitude about it!

6 comments:

MeganandClaudy said...

If you're looking for an acne medication...I've just tried a new one that I absolutely love. My dermo gave me an rx and it's made a TON of difference for me. It's called Solodyn, just in case you were looking for something. Either way, I feel your pain, mine had been getting really unbearable until I started this. Hang in there!

Brad and Hailey said...

What a cute picture of your little boy! And acne ... well I hoped I would grow out of it but it looks like it's here to stay. I have no idea what I would have told that little girl.

Sarah said...

I had a liitle kid ask me once why my face had so many red bumps...I told her they were kiss from God. I lied. No, they aren't kisses from God, they are more like kisses from Satan but at least she stopped asking questions!

Janneke said...

Megan - thanks for the recommendation. I'll have to take a look into it once I'm done breastfeeding.

Hailey - I HOPE it's not here to stay, but then again it never left me, so I might be doomed.

Sarah - I wish you been there because I think that would've been perfect.

Jenna said...

pregnancy acne - had just a little taste of that too. one of those things people don't tell you about.

your little boy isn't the only one who thinks your beautiful! You are!

Laura said...

I know first hand how horrible acne is....I had blunt germans on my mission tell me how bad my face looked. I totally understand having to talk to children about it! :) I got on Accutane...potent stuff. It is the strongest medicine out there, but cured me for good. You should look into it when you are done breastfeeding. I can't believe you have such an amazingly good attitude about it!