Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Here's my cooking style - what's yours?

So, I am finally starting to realize (after 3 years of marriage) that I don't really like to use recipes, and that I'd rather recreate restaurant foods at home. For example, Danny and I loved this breakfast skillet at Village Inn (like a Denny's) and I finally figured out how to create it at home, for way less! I find more enjoyment in cooking doing it this way! And no, you don't have to worry, the whole no recipe thing doesn't apply to baking. I haven't had enough time to figure out my baking style because I don't bake all that often, but maybe someday I will.

2 of my favorite restaurants as of late are Zupas (Gourmet Panini, Soups and Salads, SO DELISH!) and Costa Vida/Cafe Rio (Mexican burritos, salads and other stuff). Yum! A couple months ago, I ate at Zupas and had this amazing summer berry salad (the Summer Chicken Salad to be exact http://www.zupas.com/index.php/specialty-salads/). I loved it so much that I stole the idea and made it at home just days later. It's really not that difficult to make some of these things, but the hardest part for me is being creative with food. I find a good recipe, and I'll stick with it, but sometimes that gets boring. I'm sure you know what I mean. I've been into experimenting a little bit more lately. If you keep reading this post, I'll give you the formula for a delicious summer salad.

Last week I made a huge batch of taco stuff while my mom was in town. I've been eating leftovers a lot lately, as it's difficult to cook for 1 (well, 1 adult - the baby still doesn't count). because portions at the store are generally for 2 or 4 people. And, let's face it, that's just how I've gotten used to shopping and cooking. Anyway, back to the point of this blog. So I had leftovers in the fridge for tacos, but I didn't really want a taco. A) It's too hot today in my house, and I just wanted something cooler, B) I didn't really want to fix anything new because I would feel guilty letting good food go to waste, and C) I had a taco 2 days ago, and then last week - I was bored of tacos. I remembered that while I was packing the food away with my mom that we were mentioning that I could make a taco salad. But, the only way I remembered how to make a taco salad was with chips, and in my opinion, I hate that way because it's so hard to eat and so much less satisfying.

Then I had the best idea ever! I remembered how much I LOVED the Tostada Salad I got at Cafe Rio a few weeks earlier. Granted, I didn't have any juicy, marinated pulled beef, but I could still make it work with what I had. I pulled everything out of the fridge and proceeded:

Heated up 1 tortilla, halfway adding cheese to melt on top.
Heated up the last of the refried beans, stirred in some salsa to make it a little less thick.
Lay the tortilla in a bowl (I used one with a wider mouth and shallow dish) and spread on the beans.
Top with tons of sliced lettuce (or I used Romaine as that's what I had, still works).
Dollop the rest of the beans onto the lettuce, sprinkle lots more cheese and diced tomatoes.
Add a little bit of ranch dressing (I wish I had had Chipotle Ranch, but maybe another time; you could substitute Sour Cream if you have it) and Salsa

And.. wala! I stirred up the lettuce with the creamy beans, dressing and salsa and it was SOOOOO good. It's all the same fixings for a taco, but A) it wouldn't have all fit into a taco OR a burrito) and B) so much more tasty! Anyway, I just wanted to share that with you.

If you'd like the "formula" for the summer salad, here you go. This one has received lots of compliments already:

Lettuce (obviously)
Cashews
Raspberry Vinaigrette
Sliced Strawberries
Cranberries (dried)
Red Grapes (cut in halves)

Anyway, that's just me. These may be simple, but I like simple, and I like tasty, and I like to eat out (but sometimes it gets too expensive). So, I'll keep stealing "recipes." I now have 3 that I've recreated myself. You're welcome to try them, too. Speaking of which...

Do you have any easy recipes to share with me? I especially like variations on the "everyday" kinds of meals, like the remake of the taco above, if you have them. I'd love to add more to my still short list. :) Otherwise, any kind of simple recipe will help me out a ton right now - I'm so bored of cooking alone.

Thanks for visiting, and thanks for sharing!

YUM!! I wish I was there to try your tasty treats! Glad you are learning to make things work and be creative, how fun!

And ooo, Jeff's beard . . . what a silly hubby I have. Thankfully it will be gone by the end of the week because he starts his internship Monday. I'm just hopeing he doesn't have a beard tan. lol.
I just have to say that I LOVE Zupas and I crave it terribly. I wish one would pop up here in Bakersfield! I yearn for Lobster bisque...

2 comments:

Rebecca & Jeff said...

YUM!! I wish I was there to try your tasty treats! Glad you are learning to make things work and be creative, how fun!

And ooo, Jeff's beard . . . what a silly hubby I have. Thankfully it will be gone by the end of the week because he starts his internship Monday. I'm just hopeing he doesn't have a beard tan. lol.

Jennifer said...

I just have to say that I LOVE Zupas and I crave it terribly. I wish one would pop up here in Bakersfield! I yearn for Lobster bisque...