I need to de-stress. I need to get back to my goal for the year - simplify. But how?
I want to be this awesome wife who makes her husband as happy as the day i married him who is super awesome at cooking, cleaning, decorating, saving money, budgeting, cutting hair, being romantic, etc etc etc. I want to be a super mom who knows exactly what she needs to do to help her son grow big and strong and happy. I want to be this fastastically awesome Christ-like person who is great at knowing exactly what everyone else needs and being able to serve them in just the right way. I want to know everything there is about photography and scrapbooking so I can create and capture to my heart's content and make those long-awaited for wedding, mission and baby albums. I want to know how to save more money and win free stuff so I can live on the poor student budget while at the same time save for retirement, a home we hope to someday have the opportunity to own, and try to start a business without any investors other than my own self.
But, the bottom line is that I can't. I can't do it anymore. Is that depressing? Yeah, probably. Is it a good thing? Yeah, probably. It just sucks.
So what does one do at a time like this? How do you de-stress? How do you get over the fact that you just can't do it all, without losing hope? Without giving up on dreams? I'd really like your input. Forgive the depressing nature of this post - I feel like writing it out there for you guys because it helps me de-stress just a tiny bit.
Thanks,
Janneke

Nov 8, 2010
My list isn't exactly like yours, but I think we all have lists of things to do that are too long and overwhelming. I think that as we focus on the things that really matter the other will fall into place. I try to set my goals where I can accomplish them, but they still push me to grow. Take one thing at a time. I've found that to be the only way I get things done. Our days fill up quickly, so pick one big thing you want to focus on and then do the little things around it. When one thing is done move on to something else. If you try to take everything on at once that is when the stress starts. In the words of an apostle, "good, better, best." There is so much good out there, we just need to prioritize and pick what is best. I don't know if that helps at all.
Nov 8, 2010
I totally hear you on the miserable day and the too-long list of things to do. For me, I like to take warm baths and read a book for fun while I soak. Or, if I need a major de-stressor, I like to get elevated. Drive up the mountain or hike (if it weren't so cold) and get a new (literally) perspective. Somehow, that helps me. Just remember that no matter what, you ARE amazing!! I've always admired you and your talents, and I can only imagine that you keep getting more awesome with time.
Nov 9, 2010
I feel like to de-stress I have to have a girlie day or get out and exercise. I make a to-do list for the day and only put things on the list that I know I could get done. I make one huge list of everything but only look at that list when I'm done with my daily list. No use stressing yourself over something you can't control! Just take it day by day. You are an amazing woman and mother and I look up to you in so many ways! Call me when you feel like your head is going to explode and I'll watch Carson or give Carson to danny and we can grab lunch :)
Nov 9, 2010
I know how you feel! My list is even creepily identical to yours. And I don't even have kids ... which stresses me out more because if I can't accomplish my list now, how am I ever going to add "Mommy" to the list? It is cheesy but it really helps me to look at my patriarchal blessing. It reminds me of my talents and personal worth. It also reminds me of the big picture, and the other stuff doesn't seem like such a big deal anymore. I also like exercising. It counts as crossing something off my list :) and it helps me think more clearly.

Nov 9, 2010
to prevent or recover from meltdowns i stop and list (physically or in my head) all the things that are great. Get down to the tiny details. There are a lot of things you can and are doing. Focus on those. Then pick one thing at a time. You may not have____ but you do have ___ and___ and ___ and ___ going right!






5 comments:
My list isn't exactly like yours, but I think we all have lists of things to do that are too long and overwhelming. I think that as we focus on the things that really matter the other will fall into place. I try to set my goals where I can accomplish them, but they still push me to grow. Take one thing at a time. I've found that to be the only way I get things done. Our days fill up quickly, so pick one big thing you want to focus on and then do the little things around it. When one thing is done move on to something else. If you try to take everything on at once that is when the stress starts. In the words of an apostle, "good, better, best." There is so much good out there, we just need to prioritize and pick what is best. I don't know if that helps at all.
I totally hear you on the miserable day and the too-long list of things to do. For me, I like to take warm baths and read a book for fun while I soak. Or, if I need a major de-stressor, I like to get elevated. Drive up the mountain or hike (if it weren't so cold) and get a new (literally) perspective. Somehow, that helps me. Just remember that no matter what, you ARE amazing!! I've always admired you and your talents, and I can only imagine that you keep getting more awesome with time.
I feel like to de-stress I have to have a girlie day or get out and exercise. I make a to-do list for the day and only put things on the list that I know I could get done. I make one huge list of everything but only look at that list when I'm done with my daily list. No use stressing yourself over something you can't control! Just take it day by day. You are an amazing woman and mother and I look up to you in so many ways! Call me when you feel like your head is going to explode and I'll watch Carson or give Carson to danny and we can grab lunch :)
I know how you feel! My list is even creepily identical to yours. And I don't even have kids ... which stresses me out more because if I can't accomplish my list now, how am I ever going to add "Mommy" to the list? It is cheesy but it really helps me to look at my patriarchal blessing. It reminds me of my talents and personal worth. It also reminds me of the big picture, and the other stuff doesn't seem like such a big deal anymore. I also like exercising. It counts as crossing something off my list :) and it helps me think more clearly.
to prevent or recover from meltdowns i stop and list (physically or in my head) all the things that are great. Get down to the tiny details. There are a lot of things you can and are doing. Focus on those. Then pick one thing at a time. You may not have____ but you do have ___ and___ and ___ and ___ going right!
Post a Comment